Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Post 1 - History

Are you afraid of snakes? Well if you are, I hope that after learning about snakes on my blog, you won't be. A "serpentologist" is a person who studies snakes, I guess I am a serpentologist.

Did you know that snakes first appeared during the time of the dinosaurs almost 130 million years ago? That makes them the most recent of reptiles. History shows that snakes came from lizards, but lost their legs and ears through time. They also developed different kinds of patterns on their skin to help hide and camouflage them from other animals that want to eat them. Snakes live all over the world and in many different climates. They live in trees, in the brush and in the desert. Some snakes have venom, those are very dangerous! Did you know that some snakes have infrared heat sensors to find prey at night?


Snakes are in many religions, folktales and traditions of people everywhere on the earth. Early humans thought snakes were magical. They were amazed that they could move without arms and legs, kill with just one bite and shed their skin a few times a year.

4 comments:

  1. I never knew that many things about snakes, like they first appeared during the time of the dinosaurs. This is a terrific blog.
    -Tay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great good I love snakes and I think your blog is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nik I like your blog but I think I'll stay away from snakes from now on.

    ReplyDelete